How to Quite your Mind & Become a Happier Being
24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and there is just so much to do and little time to do it..... Money, career, social life, taking care of yourself, your pets/children, just trying to keep your head above water is one of the toughest things we'll ever have to do in this life. With so much on your plate day in and day out, it's no secret if your head could explode... it probably would. Life is a never ending roller coaster, and sometimes it's hard to just be, to silence and quiet your mind. In this post I will be spilling all my secrets on how I quiet my brain, de-stress, and unwind after stressful times.
Tips to de-stress & center yourself
- Unplug - From everything... all social media, your laptop, phone, Ipad, even your television. If you aren't checking your phone every five minutes, I promise you'll see the world differently.
- Express gratitude - Grab a piece of paper and make a list. Reread it out loud to yourself and allow yourself time to truly appreciate each of those things.
- Spend time with your pet - Your pet adores you, and unconditionally loves you, spend five minutes away from all of your responsibilities and simply pet your fury animal friend. It will soothe your flustered being, and decrease your blood pressure immediately
- Breathe deeply - This is in obvious one, just breathe slowly, and deeply. Take a few minutes to center & calm yourself down by slowing down your breathing.
- Go to a quiet place - Literally speaking, find a dark quiet place and close your eyes for a few minutes while breathing deeply.
- Grab a pen & a paper and write it out - If you're feeling stressed, frustrated, overwhelmed, or just too many feelings and need to get it all out - write it all down. You can do this anywhere, but it's most beneficial to reread it aloud to yourself afterwards to truly connect and come to terms with whatever you're feeling.
- Shut down your negative self - Everyone has their "positive" and "negative" self, and it's crucial to tell your negative self to quiet down. When times are tough, or you've had a long day at work, your negative self is probably coming through the strongest, feeding your mind with negative thoughts, and that is not okay. Learn to shut off your negative thoughts by simply telling yourself to quit it.
- Exercise - We're all adults, you know all the benefits of exercise. When you're going through a tough time, or can't seem to focus, there is nothing better than a sweat session, exercise for at least ten minutes and you'll see an instant energy & mood boost.
- Distract yourself - Watch a funny movie, go out on the town with friends, attend a concert, anything to get your mind off of everything.
- Learn meditation - Even if you have to Youtube it, just give it a whirl.
- Drink something hot - A hot toddy, tea, coffee, even broth from soup, anything will do. Anything warm will open up your sinuses, and help you relax and center yourself. There is truly nothing better than slowly sipping something hot, a cute mug helps too.
- Listen to you favorite songs - Fleetwood Mac is excellent, even Rihanna will do... whatever gets you going. Crank up the tunes and just listen, sing loudly along to your favorites, it will be an instant pick me up.
- Treat yourself to a bath - Fill your bathroom with warm scented candles, heavily sprinkle bath salts into a scolding hot bath, or treat yourself to a luxurious Lush Bath Bomb and slowly settle into dreamland. Close your eyes and let yourself drift away.
- Do absolutely NOTHING - If it's your day off, forget all plans and simply just do nothing. Bust out your comfiest clothes, and warmest blanket and cuddle up on the couch and gaze around your home. Maybe this will have to opposite affect on your mind, but it will allow yourself time to re-cooperate.
- Acknowledge all the little things - Never forget to appreciate all the little things in life. If you spend five minutes every day to truly appreciate all the wonderful things you did for others, or yourself today, there is no way in hell it wont bring a smile to your face.
- Call a friend - Pick up the phone and call a close friend, and just let it all out. Vent, cry, do whatever it is you have to do to stop your mind from racing about whatever it is that's troubling you.